Have you started to feel like your whole house smell like a litter box?
Having a cat might call for peeing accident sooner or later, and the worst thing about being a cat parent is dealing with the pungent smell of cat pee.
If you are wondering how to get cat pee out of the carpet, then in this guide, we have covered how you can deal with the cat urine smell from not only your carpets but other goods too. So let us get started!
Why Does Cat Pee Smell So Bad?
Cat Pee smells terrible if left unattended for too long. This is because cat pee contains a high amount of Uric acid and since healthy cats do not drink a lot of water their pee is even more concentrated.
The smell can be even worse if you have an older cat due to the kidney’s lost efficiency, and this leads to the worst-smelling urine.
Another reason for stench is the presence of testosterone-spiked urine in male cats. So all these reasons contribute to pungent cat odor.
How To Get Cat Pee Out of Carpet?
The best way to get cat pee and odor out of your carpet is by using an enzyme cleaner. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how you can get cat pee out of the carpet:
Using an absorbent cloth start blotting the area where your cat has peed. Carpet fibers are usually very absorbent, so you should blot the area as much as possible and as fast as you can.
If the pee has dried already, then make the area a little wet using cold water and then blot as much as possible.
2. Spray Enzyme Cleaner & Odor Neutralizer
The key to cleaning the cat pee out of your carpet completely and removing odor is to use a pet enzyme cleaner & odor neutralizer.
These enzyme-based cleaners are also effective in preventing your pet from peeing in the same spot.
Read the instruction on the back of the enzyme cleaner and apply it to the stain. Leave the enzyme cleaner as it is for the time frame mentioned on the pack, and follow it up with an odor-neutralizer.
3. Use a Deterrent
Your cat will get attracted to the pee and might come to the spot to pee again.
As such, ensure that you block access to the area and keep your cat away from your carpet till you do not finish cleaning it.
4. Vacuum it up
If you want to take a step further, then after cleaning the enzyme cleaner & odor neutralizer, you can vacuum the area using a pet vacuum cleaner.
Make sure you do not use a steam vacuum here as the heat might set in the smell instead of getting rid of it.
How To Get Rid of Cat Pee Smell Out of Carpet?
The steps mentioned above will help you get rid of cat pee stains and cat pee odor. Combining the cleaning process with an enzyme cleaner and an odor neutralizer addresses both issues at once.
How To Remove Old Cat Pee Out of Carpet?
The process of getting old cat pee out of the carpet is similar to that of the fresh one.
However, you might want to avoid blotting an old pee stain and jump directly to applying the enzyme as per the instructions on the label.
Use enough product to soak in the area and let the enzyme sit for some time to get rid of the stain and the smell.
You might have to repeat the process a few times for stubborn stains. Also, if you want to spot an old cat pee stain on your carpet, then you can do so by using a UV flashlight.
How To Get Cat Pee Out Of Carpet Using Baking Soda & Vinegar?
How to Remove Cat Urine Smell Out of Cushions?
Here’s a simple step-by-step guide on how to remove cat urine smell from cushions:
- Either soak the cushion in water or blot the affected area using an absorbent cloth as much as possible.
- Spray an enzyme cleaner on the urine stain and let it sit for the time frame mentioned on the pack.
- After you have let the enzyme sit on the stain for some time, squeeze the excess enzyme from the cushion and blot it as much as possible.
- Now using a damp cloth, blot the area again and let the cushion air dry.
How to Remove Cat Urine Smell Out of Clothing & Lenins?
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to remove cat pee stains from clothing & lenin items:
- The first step is to rinse the clothing item under cold running water.
- If the item is machine washable, then add the clothing item into the washing machine along with detergent plus a quarter cup of cider vinegar or baking soda and turn it on.
- After washing it in the machine, if you still smell lingering cat urine odor, then add enzyme cleaner this time and run the machine again.
- Now let the clothing item dry out in the sun.
- You might have to repeat these steps a few times if you still smell the odor.
How To Remove Cat Urine Smell Out Of Mattress?
If your cat has accidentally peed on your mattress, then do not worry. Here’s how you can get rid of the cat urine smell from the mattress:
- Soak up the area in water or blot the area as much as possible to absorb the cat pee.
- Now spray the area with an enzyme cleaner and let it sit on it for some time.
- Now blot the area again using a damp towel and remove the enzyme cleaner residue from the mattress.
- Let the mattress air dry. Repeat the steps if the smell still lingers.
How to Clean Cat Urine Stain Using Vinegar?
You can use vinegar, baking soda, or other such home remedies. You can also use these ingredients to remove the puke smell of your pet from the carpet.
However, it might not erase the smell from your carpet completely. And also, your cat might still be able to smell it if not you and pee on it again and again.
To avoid future accidents, treating cat pee stains and smells with an enzyme cleaner rather than opting for these home remedies is best.
How to Prevent Your Cat From Peeing on your Carpets?
Your cat might be peeing on your carpets for a number of reasons. Here’s what you can do to prevent your cat from peeing on your carpets or anywhere else in your home:
- Like other pet animals, cats might get attracted to where they have peed before. So ensure that you remove cat urine from your carpets or any other spot they have peed before.
- Cats do not like an unclean litter box. So make sure you keep your cat’s litter box clean. You can also add baking soda to it to help absorb the smell.
- If your cat is spraying, then get your female cats spayed and male cats neutered every six months.
- If your cat is peeing out of the litter box even after you have tried out everything, then consult a vet.
Cats are sophisticated animals who love cleanliness more than you would.
If they are peeing outside of their litter, it might be because you are not keeping the litter clean enough or because of one of the other reasons mentioned above.
Whatever the case may be, it is possible to get rid of cat stains and odor on your carpets. The key is to act fast and to use an enzyme cleaner for the best results.
We hope that you found this guide on how to get cat pee out of carpets helpful overall.
Can baking soda and vinegar remove cat urine from carpet?
Using baking soda and vinegar might or might not remove the cat urine smell from the carpet, depending on the intensity of the odor.
However, to use it, you simply have to mix one part of vinegar and one part of baking soda and spray it on the carpet.
Let it sit until the mixture dries, and follow this up by cleaning and blotting the area with a damp cloth. You might have to repeat these steps a few times to get rid of the smell completely.
Can hydrogen peroxide get cat urine out of carpet?
More than the carpet, hydrogen peroxide is effective in removing the cat urine smell from the hardwood floor.
However, you can use it to clean urine out of carpets, couches, mattresses, etc. too.
Will cat pee smell ever go away?
Yes, the cat pee smell can go away. The key is to act on the affected area quickly.
Blot the urine as much as possible and cleaning right away by using any one of the methods shared above.
Daleyza knows a lot about carpets! She has worked with carpets for over 7 years and can help with things like putting them in, keeping them clean, and replacing them. She really likes carpets and spends most of her time learning about new ways to work with them. When she’s not learning about carpets, she enjoys reading books. She’s really good at helping people choose the right carpet for their homes and making sure they’re happy with it. If you want to know more about carpets, Daleyza is the person to talk to!