Pets and spilling accidents go hand in hand, especially when you have an old, young, or untrained dog.
One rule of thumb to clean any stain is to be quick, but what if you run out of your carpet cleaning solution then the only resolution is to make your own homemade carpet shampoo for dog urine.
Pet stains become a significant problem when you are a tenant this will instantly lead to the termination of the contract once the landlord finds out.
In this guide, we’ll give you an insight into how to make homemade carpet shampoo to clean your dog’s urine.
Why Dog Urine Smells And Difficult To Remove?
Many pet owners go through this problem of smelly pet stains on the carpet. However, the foul odor of your dog’s urine has a scientific reason to it.
Dog urine is a mixture of different smelly elements, just like any human’s urine. It contains hormones, bacteria, and uric acid, all these elements only contribute 30% in making the urine smelly.
The main culprit is the ammonia that causes the distinctive and unpleasant odor that a dog’s urine produces.
This ammonia, in addition to uric acid crystal, also makes it challenging to remove the urine stain from the carpet.
4 Homemade Carpet Shampoo For Dog Urine
Making a carpet shampoo at home to remove the dog’s urine stains is pretty simple. These are some everyday ingredients that can be easily found in your kitchen only.
1. Using Baking Soda And Vinegar Spray
These 2 ingredients are easy to find and are very effective in cleaning any type of stain.
The white vinegar works to break down the stain and treat it, while baking soda will help you remove the foul odor from the carpet and will leave a fresh fragrance.
- 2 cups of distilled white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons of baking soda
- 2 cups of warm water
1. In a large bowl, make the mixture of 2 cups of warm water and 2 cups of distilled white vinegar. Shake the mixture well.
2. Next, blot the stain using a clean paper towel to remove excess urine from the carpet.
3. Sprinkle an ample amount of baking soda on the damaged area.
4. Pour the white vinegar and water solution into the baking soda. This will create a volcanic eruption effect which in turn will clean the eat the stain.
5. Let the solution sit for 5 minutes and then, with a clean cloth, gently rub or blot the area until it’s dry.
2. Using Baking Soda And Hydrogen Peroxide
Another effective method to clean the dog urine stain is to use a mixture of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.
Hydrogen Peroxide is an excellent element in breaking the uric acid crystals and ripping the stain out of the carpet.
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup of house grade, 3% hydrogen peroxide
- 1 tablespoon liquid dish soap
1. Using a clean, dry paper towel, blot away the excess liquid from the carpet.
2. Sprinkle a handful of baking soda on the damaged spot.
3. In a spray bottle, make a mixture of 3% hydrogen peroxide and liquid dish soap. Then, pour the solution onto the baking soda.
4. Gently scrub the stain using a soft bristle brush or a toothbrush.
5. After scrubbing, let the solution sit for 15 minutes, then vacuum the area thoroughly.
3. Enzyme Cleaner
Citrus cleaners like lemon not only clean the stain from the carpet by breaking it down but also helps to prevent the dog from peeing on the same spot on your carpet.
- 1 Mason Jar
- 7 tablespoon light or brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of lemon juice or orange peels
- 1 quart of water
1. In a mason jar, pour 1 quart of water, 7 tablespoons of light or brown sugar, and 1 1/2 cups of lemon juice or peels.
2. Close the lid and shake the jar to ensure that the ingredients are mixed.
3. When done, open the lid to release the gases and store the solution in a cool, dry place for 3 months.
4. After 3 months, the cleaner will be ready, and you can use it directly on the dog urine stain on the carpet.
4. Rosemary Spray
This spray works as an excellent dog urine repellent. It will prevent your dog from urinating in the same spot again.
- 1 bar Castile Soap
- 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol
- 1 teaspoon rosemary essential oil
- 2 1/2 cups of boiling water
1. In a jar, combine boiling water and castile soap. Stir the mixture well until the soap gets completely melted.
2. Allow the liquid to cool. Then, add rosemary essential oil and rubbing alcohol to the solution.
3. Close the lid and shake it well.
4. After you’ve cleaned the stain from the carpet, pour the solution on the soft-bristle brush and gently rub the spot.
5. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes, then blot the area using a paper towel.
What Are The Things To Consider While Cleaning The Dog’s Urine?
Following are some things to consider when you are cleaning your dog’s urine from the carpet:
1. The most challenging stains are old pet stains. So, keep any enzyme-based cleaners handy to tackle the stains without any stress. Follow the instructions given on the label.
2. You can use area rugs for your pets to sleep, sit and relax. This will prevent carpets from getting stained. Also, routinely wash these area rugs to keep them hygienic.
3. Always remember to clean the stains as soon as you can. Waiting for it to dry or simply being lazy will make your work more difficult.
4. Pet stains contain uric acid and ammonia which bonds with the carpet fiber excellently, making it challenging for you to remove it.
5. When in doubt, do not hesitate to call a professional to clean the dog urine from the carpet, especially when you are a tenant.
6. Create a kit of multipurpose pet stain cleaners like the above-mentioned DIY carpet cleaners. This will make the cleaning process hassle-free even when you are out of those commercial carpet cleaners.
Although removing your dog’s pee from the carpet can be a daunting process, but these homemade carpet shampoos for dog urine will ease up your process of cleaning it.
If you are a tenant, then it’s mandatory to act as fast as you can or consult a professional if necessary.
Always remember the above-mentioned points it will help you clean the stains more effectively.
What is the best way to remove the foul odor of dog's pee from the carpet?
The best way is to use baking soda on the affected part of the carpet. Sprinkle some baking soda on the spot and allow it to sit overnight or for about 12 hours.
Vacuum the area thoroughly. This will provide a pleasant fragrance to your home.
Is baking soda on the carpet safe for dogs?
Baking soda is safe to use on the carpet, both for you and your dog. It’s non-toxic and does not create any respiratory or skin problems for your pet.
What smells do dogs hate to pee on?
Dogs hate citrus smells like lemon. You can also use vinegar to clean the carpet. This will also prevent your dog from peeing on the same spot on the carpet.
Daleyza knows a lot about carpets! She has worked with carpets for over 7 years and can help with things like putting them in, keeping them clean, and replacing them. She really likes carpets and spends most of her time learning about new ways to work with them. When she’s not learning about carpets, she enjoys reading books. She’s really good at helping people choose the right carpet for their homes and making sure they’re happy with it. If you want to know more about carpets, Daleyza is the person to talk to!