Since the late 1920’s Pine-Sol has been a popular choice of cleaning agent for American households to get rid of spots and stains from a variety of things and surfaces, Pine Sol gets the work done and leaves a good fragrance making it an ideal cleaning agent.
If you want to learn if you can use Pine-Sol on carpet or not, how to use it, benefits, disadvantages etc. then we suggest you read this guide till the end.
What is the Use of Pine-Sol?
It was created at the time of great depression in the 1920s by Harry A. Cole. Harry used to be surrounded by pine trees and knew about the cleaning properties of Pine oil which he soon converted into an opportunity.
Americans have been using Pine Sol ever since then for cleaning their toilets, countertops, kitchen sinks, and whatnot.
This cleaning agent is available in many fragrances such as lemon, lavender, original, etc., and its active ingredients include:
- Pine oil
- Alkyl alcohol ethoxylates
- Sulfonic acid
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Cleaning agents
Can I Use Pine-Sol On Carpet?
Since Pine-Sol is such a popular cleaning agent, you must be wondering if you can use Pine-Sol on carpet. The answer, in short, is Yes.
You can use Pine-Sol to remove stains, odor, dirt, etc., from the carpet. However, you must do a patch test before you go all in; otherwise, you may end up ruining your carpet.
By using Pine-Sol the right way, you can get rid of tough stains, pee odors, dirt, and grim, among others. To find out how to use this product without damaging your expensive carpets, keep on reading!
How To Check if Pine-Sol is Right For My Carpet?
Pine-Sol can bleach or discolor certain carpets and fabrics, so it is essential to check if Pine-Sol is right for your carpet. To do this, simply follow these steps:
- Choose an area of the carpet that is usually not seen or is covered. Think about areas behind doors, under the couch, hidden by furniture, or something similar.
- Now apply a small amount of undiluted Pine-Sol onto the spot that you have chosen.
- Now rub it onto the carpet using a dry and clean cloth.
- Leave the Pine-Sol in the area for about ten minutes.
- After ten minutes, take a clean wet cloth and clean off the Pine-Sol from the carpet.
- After cleaning it, check if that area of your carpet has been bleached or stained.
- If yes, do not use Pine-Sol on your carpet and look for an alternative.
- If not, then you are all set to clean your carpet with Pine-Sol.
Steps to Clean Carpet With Pine-Sol
Here is a step-by-step guide to cleaning your carpet using Pine-Sol:
Things you’ll need:
- Spray bottle
- Two Clean towels or rags
- Bowl filled with water
Cleaning Carpet With Pine-Sol in 3 Ways
Whether you want to deep clean your carpet or treat stains or odors, there are multiple ways in which you can use Pine-Sol to address different issues with your carpet:
#1 Cleaning overall carpet with Pine-Sol
Dilute Pine-Sol with water and fill it into a spray bottle.
Now spritz the solution onto the entire carpet and rub and clean the carpet using a dry cloth.
Let your carpet sit with the solution for ten minutes, and then clean the carpet again with plain water and a wet cloth.
Now let the carpet air dry, and there you have a clean and good-smelling carpet.
#2 Clean stains and spots with Pine-Sol on the carpet
Start by applying undiluted Pine-Sol on the stain on your carpet directly.
Now take a clean rag and rub it on the stain for some time, then leave it on the stain for ten minutes.
After ten minutes, clean off the Pine-Sol from the area using a clean wet cloth.
Rinse the area with plain water and cloth if you see the stain has been lifted, or else repeat these steps a few more times before you get the work done.
#3 Deodorize carpet with Pine-Sol
If you have a smelly carpet as a result of stains, pet pee, spills, etc., then this too can be tackled by Pine-Sol. To deodorize your carpet do this:
Mix a good-smelling Pine-Sol, such as lemon or lavender fragrance preferably, dilute it with water, and transfer it to a spray bottle.
Either spray the entire carpet with this solution and leave it as it is for 10 minutes.
Now spray plain water onto the carpet and remove any residue from the carpet using a dry clean cloth, and voila, you have fresh-smelling carpets.
How To Get Rid of Pine-Sol Odor From Carpets?
Pine-Sol is very effective, and hence it is very powerful and might make people nauseous, especially if not kept in a well-ventilated area. Also, since pine has a very strong scent, it can be overbearing for people.
So if you want to remove Pine-Sol odor from your carpets, then simply use any of the following methods:
- Open doors and windows: Open the doors and windows of your room to let the air circulate and for the fragrance to dissipate.
- Use activated charcoal powder: Activated charcoal is great at absorbing smells from the environment. So take a cardboard box and fill it half with activated charcoal powder. Keep it in the room where you have used Pine-sol and leave it overnight.
- Baking Soda: This is another good alternative to charcoal. Simply fill a bowl full of Baking soda and leave it in the area for 4-5 hours or overnight if needed. Baking soda will soak the smell of the cleaning agent.
- Use a wet cloth: Make sure you clean the Pine-Sol residue from your carpet using clean water and cloth. This will help diminish the pungent smell of Pine-Sol. Ventilating the room afterward would also help in getting rid of the Pine-Sol smell from the carpet.
Benefits of Cleaning Carpet with Pine-Sol
Here are some common benefits of cleaning your carpet with Pine-Sol:
- Inexpensive: Hiring professional carpet cleaners can dig a hole in your pocket, but timely carpet cleaning cannot be overlooked either. Pine-Sol is a good cleaning agent that you can use for cleaning your carpets for less than $5.
- Effective: Pine-Sol is not only cheap but also extremely Effective. It can remove stains, dirt, and grim and can also kill viruses and bacteria, making it an excellent choice.
- Versatile: Pine-Sol can be used to clean not only carpets but a number of surfaces such as clothes, light fixtures, floors, furniture, kitchen, and whatnot.
- Easy to use: Using DIY methods or cleaning machines to clean carpets can be a bit time-consuming and hectic. With Pine-Sol, you can save time and still get the best results without wasting a lot of energy.
Drawbacks of Cleaning Carpet with Pine-Sol
Here are some drawbacks of cleaning carpets with Pine-Sol:
- Can damage carpets: Pine-Sol is a strong cleaning agent and is not recommended to use on delicate carpets. Before using it it is essential to do a patch test, or else you may end up ruining your carpet.
- May lead to discoloration or stains: Pine-Sol may discolor, bleach, or stain certain carpet fabrics. So it shouldn’t be used without a patch test and without diluting it.
- May cause irritation: Again, since Pine-Sol is such a strong and pungent cleaning agent, it might cause headaches, skin irritation, allergies, etc., in humans and pets alike.
Pine-Sol Cleaning Hacks
Useful Tips for Using Pine-Sol Correctly
- Always do a patch test on a small covered area of your carpet before using Pine-Sol.
- Wear gloves and safety goggles if necessary to protect yourself from this chemical.
- Store Pine-Sol in a dry place away from kids and pets.
- Always clean off the Pine-Sol residue with plain water.
- Do not use or combine Pine-Sol with other cleaning agents.
- Do not use Pine-Sol if it causes irritation to you or your pets.
Pine-Sol is an excellent and effective cleaning agent that can be used to get rid of germs and bacteria from a ariety of surfaces.
It can also be used to clean carpets; but first, you must ensure that the fabric is compatible with it by doing a patch test.
In this guide, we gave you a detailed account of how and when you can use Pine-Sol. We hope this was useful.
Can I use Pine-Sol in carpet shampooing machine?
To save time, you might be tempted to use Pine-Sol in a carpet shampooing machine. Some machines are compatible with Pine-Sol.
However, each model is different, and you must check the list of ingredients or cleaning agents that you can use in your carpet shampooing machine model.
On which surfaces should you not use Pine-Sol?
Pine-Sol can be used on non-porous and hard surfaces such as floors, countertops, etc.
However, you should avoid using it on soft, porous materials such as upholsteries, marble, aluminum, etc.
What Else Can I Clean Using Pine-Sol?
Pine-Sol is a versatile and multi-purpose cleaning agent and you can use it to clean the following items:
- Light fixtures
- And more
Daleyza knows a lot about carpets! She has worked with carpets for over 7 years and can help with things like putting them in, keeping them clean, and replacing them. She really likes carpets and spends most of her time learning about new ways to work with them. When she’s not learning about carpets, she enjoys reading books. She’s really good at helping people choose the right carpet for their homes and making sure they’re happy with it. If you want to know more about carpets, Daleyza is the person to talk to!