OxiClean is a popular household cleaner that can be used to clean almost anything but can you use OxiClean on carpet?
In this article, we have compiled every information on OxiClean that will help you determine whether using OxiClean on the carpet is effective or not and how you can use OxiClean to remove stains from the carpet.
What Is OxiClean?
OxiClean is a laundry detergent that is popular for its effective stain-removing properties. The detergent is biodegradable and phosphate-free.
The product was launched in 1997 with the aim of removing stains and dirt from various surfaces. The composition of OxiClean includes oxygen and various other ingredients which help in cleaning.
How Does OxiClean Work?
The main element in OxiClean is oxygen. When mixed with water, the oxygen creates tiny bubbles which penetrate deep into the stains.
These bubbles then lift and suspend dirt and stains, making it easier to clean the stain. Other than oxygen it also has 3 main ingredients that equally help in lifting the stain.
- Sodium Carbonate Peroxide
- Sodium Carbonate and
- C12-15 Alcohols Ethoxylated
Can You Use OxiClean On Carpet?
The answer is Yes! OxiClean is a powerful solution for removing tough stains from carpets.
To remove the stain, simply make a mixture of water and OxiClean powder and apply it to the affected spot. Let the solution sit for 10-15 minutes, then wipe it off using a clean damp cloth.
However, before applying the solution directly to the stained area, make sure to test it in an inconspicuous area of the carpet.
How To Use OxiClean To Clean Stains?
The steps to use OxiClean to get rid of stains on the carpet are as follows:
- Make sure the carpet is thoroughly cleaned using a vacuum. This will ensure that there is no dirt on the carpet when you use the cleaner.
- Next, gather the necessary tools like a bucket, OxiClean powder or liquid, warm water, a clean white cloth, and a soft-bristle brush.
2. Make The Solution
- The first step is to fill the bucket with warm water, then make the appropriate water-to-Oxiclean ratio, and read the instruction given in the Oxiclean package carefully.
- While stirring the water in the bucket, gradually add the OxiClean power or liquid. Make sure the powder or liquid gets dissolved completely.
3. Test The Solution
- Test the solution on an inconspicuous area of the carpet. This will ensure that your carpet doesn’t get ruined by the solution.
4. Apply The OxiClean Solution
- Dip the clean white cloth into the OxiClean solution and wring the excess liquid making the cloth damp.
- Blot the stained area on the carpet using a damp cloth. Don’t rub the stained area vigorously, just both it gently.
- Continue blotting for a few minutes until the stain is lifted away.
5. Let It Sit
If the stain is tough, then leave the solution on the affected area for a few minutes to penetrate the solution deeper into the stain.
6. Rinse And Dry
- Using a clean cloth and clean, clear water, blot the treated area to remove the OxiClean product.
- Repeat the process multiple times to remove the residue of OxiClean.
- Air dry the carpet by opening all the windows or allowing it to dry using the fan.
- Once the carpet is dry, vacuum it thoroughly to get the fluff back.
What Are The Advantages And Downsides Of Using OxiClean?
Although Oxiclean is very effective in cleaning your carpet, it has its downsides too. Here are some benefits and downsides of using Oxiclean:
Advantages Of Using OxiClean
- It’s easy to use. You don’t require any extensive tools or equipment.
- It doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals. This reduces the chance of your carpet getting discolored.
- OxiClean is a versatile cleaning product that can be used to clean almost any surface.
- It can be used in both powders as well as in liquid form.
- OxiClean is safe to use on both synthetic fiber carpets and natural fiber carpets.
Disadvantages Of Using OxiClean
- It is an expensive product, and its high price makes it a disadvantage of the product.
- It has the potential to cause respiratory problems, skin irritation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and cornea inflammation.
- The product might discolor certain types of carpet material.
- If it is not rinsed properly or extracted, then it leaves a residue that might ruin the look of the carpet.
- The OxiClean cleaner produces harmful fumes when mixed with other cleaning products.
How To Use OxiClean Other Than Cleaning Carpet?
1. Removing Bathroom Grout Stains
One of the biggest use of OxiClean is to get rid of grout stains in the bathroom. As per the instructions of the manufacturer, create a paste of OxiClean and water and directly apply it to the grout.
Let the paste sit for 30 minutes before scrubbing and rinsing it off.
2. Remove Pet Stains From The Couch
Fortunately, you can use the powdered OxiClean to refresh water-safe upholstery. If the stain is fresh, then follow the steps similar to removing the stain from the carpet. Remember not to rub the stain and only dab it gently. This way you can easily use this carpet cleaner to remove the stain from the couch.
3. Make The Pool Area Tiles Dazzle
You can also use OxiClean to clean the dirty, grimy tiles of the pool. Mix 1/4 and one scoop of powder per gallon of water, depending on how bad the tiles are. Use warm or hot water for best results. Scrub and rinse the tiles to see the dazzling pool tiles.
4 DIY Stain Remover Alternatives
If you are looking for an alternative that works as effectively as OxiClean, then here are 4 stain-removing alternatives that are easy to use and are readily available at your home.
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda has numerous uses other than just being used in the kitchen. It’s also a biodegradable element which means that it’s good for the environment. Baking Soda can be used to clean anything from scrubbing pots to removing tough stains from your carpet.
2. Rubbing Alcohol
Rubbing alcohol is also an excellent alternative to remove tough stains from hard surfaces. It’s a strong solvent, so it’s recommended to use it wearing safety gear like rubber gloves.
It can be used on certain fabrics to remove stains like ink, grass, and grease.
Vinegar is a strong alternative to OxiClean. It can be used for both removing stains from clothes and carpets as well as deodorizing them.
However, remember to handle it with care and always use white vinegar to get rid of stains. When using it on delicate fibers, then test it on a small area of the fabric.
4. Lemon Juice
Lemon Juice works like an acid. It breaks down the molecules of the stain and makes it easier to remove them.
It’s a natural bleaching agent and also leaves a pleasant fragrance on fabrics.
Things You Should Never Do With OxiClean
OxiClean can be used to remove various stains from different surfaces; however, there are some things that should be kept in mind when using an OxiClean solution.
1. Don’t Store OxiClean In Humid Areas
Be sure to store the OxiClean in a sealed container. As storing it in a humid area will make the powder turn into a brick, and you’ll have to break it every time you want a scoop of powder.
2. Don’t Store It In A Spray Bottle
OxiClean can be used as a solution in a spray bottle; however, it might be dangerous to store it for a longer period of time.
According to the product page on Amazon: “Do not store solutions for more than 6 hours, as the pressure can build up and the container may rupture, causing injury.”
3. Do Not Mix OxiClean With Other Chemicals
This is an important point to follow-don’t mix any chemical with OxiClean. This includes ammonia, chlorine bleach, and any other household chemical.
This will lead explosion of fumes and might cause problems like skin irritation.
4. Don’t Soak Metals In OxiClean
Soaking metals in OxiClean may result in corrosion or completely damage some metal material. If you want to use OxiClean to clean the metals, then rinse the item immediately.
This also implies that you should avoid using metal bowls or containers when mixing the OxiClean solution.
5. Do Not Use OxiClean To Clean Rust
Oxygen is the main element that is used in OxiClean cleaners, and it is also an enemy of rust. So, better to go for other cleaners to clean rust from metals or rust from fabrics.
OxiClean is a household cleaning product that has a multitude of uses other than removing stains from the carpet.
This product it claimed to be an environmental-friendly product, however, it’ can be very expensive for some customers when compared to other eco-friendly cleaners.
Can I Sprinkle OxiClean On Carpet Before Vacuuming?
Yes, you can use OxiClean on the carpet before vacuuming. Sprinkle the powder on the carpet, wait for 15 minutes, and vacuum the carpet thoroughly.
When Should You Not Use OxiClean?
Delicate materials like silk, wool, and leather should not be cleaned using Oxiclean.
Will OxiClean Remove Odors?
Yes, OxiClean can be used to clean the odors and sweat stains from clothing. OxiClean is a powerful solution to remove odors from fabrics effectively.
Daleyza knows a lot about carpets! She has worked with carpets for over 7 years and can help with things like putting them in, keeping them clean, and replacing them. She really likes carpets and spends most of her time learning about new ways to work with them. When she’s not learning about carpets, she enjoys reading books. She’s really good at helping people choose the right carpet for their homes and making sure they’re happy with it. If you want to know more about carpets, Daleyza is the person to talk to!