It’s simple to plan for a complete renovation but difficult to accomplish it with ease. It’s maybe because you want your personal space to look beautiful and, at the same time, provide a homely comfort and soothing environment. Well, in this context, floor renovation is a good idea, but which one, between carpet and hardwood, is better? If the answer is carpet, then why carpet is better than hardwood?
It’s a difficult question, right? Perhaps due to a never-ending battle between carpet and hardwood. But don’t worry because this article will give you all the answers to your questions without being partial to any flooring choice.
Carpet VS Hardwood
Let us break down this indecisive battle first!
Suppose you go to a grocery store and ask the shopkeeper to give you a packet of detergent, and he questions which brand you would like to have among 2 or 3 available with him.
Now, what will you consider while making your decision? Maybe the effective cleaning capacity, long-lasting pleasant fragrance and the best cleaning result.
The same goes with flooring choices because first, you have to decide what kind of comfort and result you want from your layout and then look into other sides, such as cost, maintenance, installation, etc.
To break it down further and make it easier for you to decide between both, let’s look at them individually and consider their pros & cons.
Who doesn’t want versatile, soft, and warm flooring under his foot? Well, carpet can be one for you. Carpet can help insulate your home.
It is not only a comfortable option but also a safe choice for a children or elders-friendly home. So whether you tend to play, jump, or walk over it, you will not get foot pain or unnecessary injuries due to falling.
To elaborate further, let’s look at all its pros & cons one by one!
Pros Of Carpet Flooring
As already discussed above, the most prominent and admirable feature of carpet is its fluffy and soft comfort. Other than this, this flooring also has fantastic advantages, such as:
1. Insulating properties: If it’s a shivering cold winter and you are choosing a flooring option to keep you warm throughout this weather, then the carpet is an unbeatable choice. Its thick pile and long fibers insulate the whole room in the same way as a woolen sweater or jacket does to your body.
2. Acoustics: What is the best feature a person wants in his home if it’s in a crowded region. Perhaps peace and silence, right?
Well, it is possible with carpets because rugs and the padding beneath them have a feature to absorb incoming sound waves. So if you want your flooring to absorb a high level of noise, then you can consider thick piled carpet as your option.
3. Moisture resistance: If you spill some water on your carpet and can’t clean it due to a shortage of time, then don’t worry because your carpet will do it for you.
The thick fibers of the carpet wick the moisture up to the surface for blotting away. Hence, it is not penetrate towards the padding or subflooring. Due to this, your pet or children will not slip while playing or running over it.
4. Wide Range Of Design: Yes, this is also a significant advantage of carpet over hardwood because the carpet offers a variety of colors, textures, fabrics, and patterns that are impossible to have in any other flooring option.
Cons Of Carpet Flooring
1. Holds Dust & Allergens: Instead of several advantages, the biggest drawback of carpet is its high dust-holding capacity and growing allergens, molds, and mildew.
So whether you choose a high or low pile carpet, your biggest responsibility is to vacuum it every and deep clean it once every 12 to 14 months, depending upon how filthy it is. By this, you can avoid allergens from growing on your carpet.
2. Complex Cleaning Procedure: When comparing carpet and hardwood flooring, carpets bring greater challenges in terms of cleaning. This is mainly because of its long fibers that hold dust or spills and can’t be removed only by wiping or vacuuming. It is pretty easy to build mold and mildew on the carpet if you forget to clean any spill.
Another popular flooring option competing against carpet is hardwood; and this is because of its strength and easy maintenance feature. Now, to consider other sides of this flooring, let’s look at its pros & cons one by one.
Pros Of Hardwood Flooring
1. Durability & Longevity: Hardwood has a dense cellulose structure, which makes it highly durable over any other flooring option, including carpet.
2. Easy Cleaning: Yes, it is far easier to clean hardwood flooring than carpet. So, if you have a busy lifestyle, then you don’t have to spend hours in the cleaning process. Instead, you just have to wipe spilled contents and vacuum the dry debris. You can also use the vax carpet cleaning to make the process more easy.
3. Strength: As already discussed, hardwood is made of a dense cellulose structure, which makes it one of the most robust flooring, with a lifespan of around 100 years. Meanwhile, carpet has a lifespan of around 5 to 15 years, depending on its use and cleaning.
4. Increases Home Value: If you are planning to sell your home and are thinking about which flooring will increase your home value. Then, for your knowledge, this totally depends upon the buyer’s preference. Still, it is found that many people favor hardwood flooring homes over carpeted ones.
Cons Of Hardwood Flooring
1. Difficult To Maintain: Hardwood flooring is still prone to damage or scratching by hard debris. And once you get one of your floor, you can’t repair it easily, as in the case of carpet repair.
2. More Noisy: Carpets absorb sound waves and bring a peaceful environment inside a home; well, it’s not the same in the case of hardwood. Instead, this flooring option becomes more noisy over time.
3. Penetrates Moisture In Case Of Cracks: Cracks are the worst thing to have on a flooring like hardwood. This is because if you spill any moisture, it will directly get into the flooring, and you will not be able to dry it quickly, as in the case of carpet.
Else, this will lead to terminal infestations of timbers. In a case like this, the only solution will be replacing the flooring and installing a new one.
Which Flooring Is Best?
After discussing both the flooring in detail, we can conclude that carpet flooring is better in all terms. This is because you can manage the cleaning and allergens problem easily by daily vacuuming, and it’s easy to manage deep cleaning once a year. But it is burdensome to maintain crack-prone flooring like hardwood.
Why Carpet Is Better Than Hardwood?
Carpets are better for several reasons, as discussed above, but if you are still unsatisfied or confused between hardwood and carpet, then let’s examine other important factors of these flooring options.
Cost: Budget and cost is one of the significant concerns while buying hardwood or carpet, right? So, keeping that in mind, let’s try to break down the overall cost of carpet and hardwood installation.
- Carpet costs around $2 to $7 per square foot or around $10 per square yard. If you are hiring a professional for the installation, then you can add upon a labor charge of $1.5 per square foot.
- On the other hand, hardwood flooring will cost you anywhere between $6 and $23 per square foot without including installation charges.
By the estimates, it is unquestionably clear that carpet costs less than hardwood flooring, both with or without installation charge.
Installation Procedure: During installation, both carpet and hardwood are first sticked on the subfloor with nails, staples, and adhesive. And for this, you may need a highly skilled professional.
You often have found that many people find it comfortable to install carpets by themselves, but when it comes to hardwood, rarely a few or maybe no one takes such a risk. This implies that whether both need nailing and screwing, it’s easy to take up carpet installation DIY in your hand, but difficult to install hardwood flooring as a self-held project.
Keeping these two imperative factors in mind, we can easily conclude that carpet is better than hardwood flooring.
When thinking about replacing your carpet, the answer to “Why Carpet Is Better Than Hardwood?” is as crucial as answering which carpet fabric is better for your floor. Still, if you want to know about these flooring options, first try to understand the features of both and t
By this, you will easily figure out which flooring is better for your home without being partial to any choice. However, if you are not so sure about either of the options, then answering what should i replace my carpet with becomes quite challenging.
What are the 3 advantages of carpet over hardwood floors?
Three significant advantages that make carpet a better choice over hardwood are its cost, comfort, and noise reduction capacity.
When should I replace the old carpet with a new one?
The best time to replace a carpet depends upon its maintenance and use. If you have a small family without children or pets and you vacuum your rug daily, then you can change your carpet after 15 years, and if you have a big family and irregular cleaning habits, then you need to change your carpet every time between 5 to 7 years.
What color of carpet goes with all room types?
If you are planning to buy a carpet and are unsure about the color that goes with every room color or pattern, then beige, gray, cream, ivory, and taupe are the best choices for your interior.
Daleyza knows a lot about carpets! She has worked with carpets for over 7 years and can help with things like putting them in, keeping them clean, and replacing them. She really likes carpets and spends most of her time learning about new ways to work with them. When she’s not learning about carpets, she enjoys reading books. She’s really good at helping people choose the right carpet for their homes and making sure they’re happy with it. If you want to know more about carpets, Daleyza is the person to talk to!