Before questioning how to get the highlighter out of the carpet? The real question is- Is it possible to get the highlighter stains out of the carpet?
Everybody gets attracted to glittery, shiny, and colorful things, and kids can go out of hand when it comes to highlighters.
They want to highlight everything in their book as if everything is necessary, and that’s when the chances of accidentally drawing on the carpet increase.
The bright side of this scenario is these highlighter stains are easy to remove from the carpet. But most of the stains need your proper attention and quick reaction.
Sometimes when you feel like a sloth, these highlighter stains work like cheetahs and elephants leaving their big imprints on your precious carpet in no time.
Types of Highlighters and how they impact your carpet?
Depending on their types, there are various highlighters that affect your carpet differently.
For instance, wax-based highlighters are rigid to remove and mingle with your carpet, just like any salsa dancer.
On the other hand, it’s easy to remove water-based highlighters from your carpet.
Fabric Types and What cleaning solution to Use?
Although there are different cleaning solutions that can answer your question of how to get the highlighter out of the carpet but getting an insight on the fiber of your carpet and choosing the right one according to it will keep it smooth and ultimately boost its life.
Here are some fibers and solutions that can be used accordingly:
1. Nylon Carpets: Nylon fibers are known for their longevity, affordability, and most importantly, resistance to stain. It can hold out against raspy cleaning solutions. For cleaning nylon carpets, a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water can help you remove the tough stain.
2. Wool Carpets: Wool fibers come with long-lasting durability but have a delicate texture and need a tender cleaning solution. A mixture of vinegar and water works well to remove the highlighter stain from your carpet.
3. Polyester Carpet: These are less expensive, and when compared to nylon carpets, it is easy to clean any stain, especially mold. One of the best options to clean these carpets is dish soap and water solution.
4. Olefin Carpet: Best known for its resistance to water and stain, olefin fiber is considered a good choice for a carpet. You can use a mixture of rubbing alcohol and water to clean the stain on your carpet.
4 trusted methods you can count on to get the highlighter out of the carpet
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Baking Soda
- White Vinegar
- Paper towel
- Liquid dish soap and
- Cold Water
- Commercial Carpet Cleaner
1. Baking soda and vinegar
A mixture of baking soda and vinegar can remove any spot from prints on leopard to tough stain on your carpet.
The good news is that it’s effortless to find both baking soda and vinegar at your home or even in a homeware store. Here are the steps to follow:
- Dab away as much excess ink from your carpet with a damp paper towel or cloth.
- Form a paste by mixing 2 tablespoons of vinegar and baking soda.
- Ensure the cloth is well-saturated to get the solution deeper into the stain.
- Using a soft bristle brush, rub the stain gently.
- Leave the solution on the carpet for over 10 minutes.
- Blot the area with a clean cloth until it gets dry.
2. Liquid dish soap method
The next best cleaning solution to get rid of that neon ink is liquid dish soap and white vinegar. Follow these steps:
- In a bowl, pour 2 cups of warm water, then mix a tablespoon of liquid soap and white vinegar.
- Dip the clean cloth into your dish soap solution, fold it, and push it down on the highlighter stain to completely get it soaked into your carpet.
- Leave the cloth for about 10 minutes.
- Dab a dry cloth onto the stain to get the highlighter’s ink.
- If there’s still some stain left, repeat the steps again.
3. Rubbing alcohol method
If any of the above magic solutions didn’t work, try applying rubbing alcohol to remove the stain. However, always test the solution on a small patch before applying it to the entire carpet.
- Pour the rubbing alcohol solution onto a clean cloth and gently push the solution on the stained area of your carpet.
- Make sure the stain is soaked in the solution.
- Take a fresh cloth and rinse it with the rubbing alcohol solution, then gently rub the stained area in a circular motion.
- Using a clean cloth soaked in cold water, carefully rinse the solution out of the stained area.
- To remove the extra moisture from the newly-cleaned area, dab a dry towel on it.
4. Using Commercial Carpet Cleaner
The last magic solution that is easy to use and get is a commercial carpet cleaner. Let’s get down to the essentials of how to get the highlighter out of the carpet using a commercial carpet cleaner.
- The first step in the process is to vacuum the carpet area thoroughly.
- Add ¼ of carpet shampoo in 2 cups of warm water. Place the solution in a spray bottle and dampen the area with the stain.
- Leave the solution for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Clean in a straight line pattern to avoid leaving any spot.
- Dab the area with a clean, dry cloth, or you can finish it with a stain-resistant spray for easy cleanup.
Pro tip- You can also follow the instructions given on the carpet cleaner. Once the carpet is dry, vacuum the carpet to revive the stained area.
How to remove the older highlighter stain out of the carpet?
Sometimes you randomly step on an old highlighter stain on your carpet. Although it’s advisable to clean the stain as soon as possible, but it’s never too late to clean an old stain.
One of the options to consider would be to use rubbing alcohol. You can also try cleaning it with a commercial carpet dry-cleaning solution that is readily available in any hardware store.
Call an expert if how to get the highlighter out of the carpet guide goes wrong
These proven methods can help you get the highlighter stain out of your carpet, but when in doubt, getting a piece of expert advice will save the life of your favorite carpet.
Here are some points to guide you on when you can reach out to an expert:
1. Delicate Carpet
These carpets give you underfoot comfort but also require your keen attention, and cleaning by yourself can sometimes damage it. So, if you have a delicate carpet, call an expert to clean it.
2. Large or multiple stains
If your carpet has multiple and large stains getting it cleaned by a professional is the right thing to do. As cleaning numerous spots using your DIY cleaning solutions can be an intimidating task.
3. Old Stains
Removing highlighter stains from your carpet is a painless process, especially when you are a ‘do-it-yourself’ person, but if the stain on your carpet is old enough to challenge your grandpa’s age, then you should consider getting a professional to clean it.
4. Shortage of time
There’s no doubt in saying that carpet cleaning is a time-consuming process, and if you are a person with a hectic schedule, reaching out to an expert will save a lot of your money (of course! time is money).
Avoid These Mistakes To Remove highlighter stains From your Carpet
Just like the fingerprints on your reading glasses can disturb your whole vision, a carpet with a highlighter can disturb the entire look of your aesthetic space.
To avoid mistakes while getting the highlighter stain out of your carpet, here are some measures you can take:
- Don’t Scrub– Scrubbing can make your carpet lose its fibers and push the stain deeper into the carpet.
- Using Rough Chemicals- Always test on your carpet before using any chemicals on it.
- Don’t Rub- Rubbing exerts pressure on the carpet that can ruin it entirely.
- Use colorless paper towels and cloth- You can blot the newly made stain using a paper towel or a cloth to absorb the excess ink, but always ensure to use white paper towels as it can imprint its color on your light-colored carpet.
Pro tip: If these precautions fail, you can cover these areas under your furniture or behind doors where it is not visible.
The Bottom Line
These above-mentioned cleaning solutions are some DIY that can answer your question on how to get the highlighter out of the carpet.
However, it is recommended to always treat the stains immediately, avoid using rough chemicals on your delicate carpet, and always seek expert advice if you find it difficult to remove the stain.
Does lemon juice help in getting the highlighter stain out of the carpet?
Along with smelling great, lemons do the magic of removing stains with their secret acid- Citric acid.
You can use half a lemon and rub its juice onto the stain using a cotton swab. It can make the stain almost undetectable.
Is highlighter harmful to humans?
Highlighters threaten minimal risks to anybody’s health. Most highlighters contain dyes and traces of alcohol that can result in stomach aches and can be harmful to human skin.
Do “how to get the highlighter out of the carpet” guides work?
Yes, these guides are tested and proven methods to remove the highlighter stains from your carpet, but only if you follow the instructions carefully.
However, if this guide takes a topsy-turvy turn, we recommend reaching out to a professional.
Daleyza knows a lot about carpets! She has worked with carpets for over 7 years and can help with things like putting them in, keeping them clean, and replacing them. She really likes carpets and spends most of her time learning about new ways to work with them. When she’s not learning about carpets, she enjoys reading books. She’s really good at helping people choose the right carpet for their homes and making sure they’re happy with it. If you want to know more about carpets, Daleyza is the person to talk to!