Gold-agers always suggested to clean the carpet with hands. Do you know why? This is because you can maintain the smooth and fluffy texture of your rug for a long time by avoiding machines like carpet cleaners. But to achieve this, you first have to know how to clean disgusting carpet by hand.
Here, “disgusting” is specially mentioned to take into note the extra stubborn stains that can’t be cleaned even after your hours of effort. It can be caused by anything, such as extra old filth, red marks of spilled wine, dried pet pee, etc. In such cases, it is always suggested to treat the stains with your hands.
To find out if it works well on patches or not, let’s dive deep into the article!
Can You Clean The Carpet By Hand?
Suppose you have spilled coffee or juice on your clothes. Now, what will you do first?
Perhaps you’ll lead to the sink and take some detergent or other cleaning agent to rub over it. This always works to eradicate new or old stains, right?
It is the same in the case of carpet because, as a cloth, carpet is also made up of fibers; the only difference is that the thick slips of rug suck the spills, making it difficult and time-consuming to clean.
Even if your carpet is not stained, you can still perform the deep cleaning activity with your hands without giving wet & dry strokes of carpet cleaner or without calling a professional.
Is Cleaning With Hand More Time-Consuming?
Cleaning a carpet with a carpet cleaner takes 30 minutes to cover the whole room, but if you use your hand for the same, then you will complete the task in around 1 to 2 hours. Hence, it is clear that hand cleaning is more time-consuming than methods based on technology.
But this is what technology is made for, right?
Still, there are several advantages of hand cleaning, such as:
- Cleaning carpets by hand is more cost-efficient than using a cleaner. Hand cleaning will cost you around $1 to $2, that is the price per scoop of solution you are using, while carpet cleaner will cost you around $35 to $55 per room. To get exact results on the cost of carpet cleaning, you can use this calculator.
- You can easily monitor the cleaning of your carpet while cleaning it by hand, and by this, you can identify which part of the carpet needs extra cleaning.
- Hand cleaning of carpet enhances its life while maintaining its smoothness for more than the carpet’s original lifespan.
- By cleaning your carpet with your hands, you can ensure that no stains are left behind. And if any, you can pour the detergent or any other solution on it and rub it with your hands gently.
How To Clean Disgusting Carpet By Hand?
The main purpose of deep cleaning is to get close to those hard-to-reach areas deep down the fibers. And for the same, you may employ heavy-duty products and technologies such as carpet cleaners.
But still, you must have found a few extra stubborn stains that do not leave even after cleaning. Ultimately, you have to rub your carpet with your hand to ensure the removal.
So why not do the complete task with your hands only?
If you are wondering how to do such a difficult task, then let’s break it down for you, but before that, let’s have a look at a few tips for perfect cleaning!
Tips For Better Cleaning
Pre-preparation is always better than working in chaos and confusion, right? So, to avoid such situations, here are some tips that you can apply before or during your cleaning process:
- Prepare the tools and other products in advance, such as cleaning solution or detergent, baking soda, bucket, spray bottles, cleaning gloves, brush or scrubber, clean towel, etc.
- Cover your mouth and hands before cleaning so that the solution does not get into your mouth and cannot cause irritation to your skin.
- Remove every piece of furniture from the carpet and shift the extra large furniture from one corner to another while cleaning.
- Make sure to be attentive while pouring the cleaning solution so that it evenly spreads on the carpet.
- Let the solution sit for a few minutes before rubbing it in.
- Use a brush or scrubber with soft bristles so that it does not harm the delicate fibers of the carpet.
- Scrub the carpet in the direction of the fiber and try to gather grime in one spot rather than spreading it to different corners.
- Dry the carpet entirely before putting the furniture back on it. You can also vacuum it once it’s dry.
Do Initial Cleaning
Before you move directly towards pouring water and solution on your carpet, it’s better to first execute some initial cleaning steps to remove dry debris and pet hair knotted in the fibers. For this,
- Vacuum the whole carpet well to eradicate loose dirt, crumbs, and pet dander.If you want to avoid using machines, use a carpet broom for the same. However, to get better results, you can use Bissell Carpet cleaner.
- If you notice dark patches of stains, then sprinkle baking soda mixed with salt over it and mist the area with cold water.
- Leave the saturated region for a few minutes until it dries completely, and after this, use a broom to wipe the remaining soda.
- If the stain is still visible, then add an equal amount of vinegar to water and pour it into a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution over the stain and leave it for 15 minutes to suck up by the fibers.
- After this, dab the region with a sponge or damp towel.
- Repeat the process on all stains until they are completely removed.
- If you find any chewing gum or crayon color on your carpet, then freeze the area with ice cubes by holding it for several minutes and then nudge it off with your hands or loose knife.
Clean The Carpet With Hands
Cleaning your carpet by hand is a fantastic choice, but it isn’t easy at the same time. So, to do this perfectly,
- Mix 1 scoop of laundry detergent in 1 liter of water and pour it evenly on the carpet.
- Rub your carpet with a scrubber and then leave the solution to sit for 10 minutes.
- After this, rub your carpet again, but this time, do not use a scrubber on it. Instead, you can cover your hands with gloves and rub the carpet gently.
- Pour clean tap water on the carpet and squeeze it to remove the detergent and other solutions you used.
- After ensuring that your carpet is clean, dry it under the sun or big fans for 6 to 10 hours.
How To Prepare Homemade Carpet Cleaning Solution?
We have already discussed above that while cleaning the carpet by hand, the only cost you are going to pay is for the solution. But what if you can make a perfect solution in your home only?
Well, yes, you can, and to prepare such a mixture, you just have to,
- Add 1 cup of white vinegar to 2 cups of water.
- Add 3 parts of baking soda in 1 part of water.
- Add 1 tsp of ammonia in 1 cup of water.
- Add equal parts of hydrogen peroxide to water.
If you want to clean your carpet with Bissell Carpet Cleaner, then you can prepare a homemade Bissell carpet cleaner solution for perfect cleaning.
How To Clean Disgusting Carpet By Hand? | Conclusion:
To better understand how to clean disgusting carpet by hand, you first have to make arrangements in advance and prepare a solution to eradicate the stubborn stains.
This will help you take a systematic approach to carpet cleaning and give perfect, spotless results.
Can vinegar remove old stains from the carpet?
Yes, you can remove any old stains from your carpet. To do this, you just have to add 1 cup of white vinegar to 2 cups of water and apply it evenly on the stained region. After this, leave the solution for 10 to 15 minutes and then wipe it off with a damp towel.
How long should I let sprinkled baking sit on my carpet?
You can leave the baking soda overnight to sit on your carpet; after this, you can sweep it off with a vacuum cleaner or a carpet broom. This method will not only lift up the stain from its place but also work as a natural deodorizer for your carpet. However, if you have glass on the carpet then it will be a question of concern on how to get vacuum glass off the carpet.
What are the signs that show that your carpet needs cleaning?
You should clean your carpet at least once a year. If the rug has grown molds and mildew, stains, and foul odor, it indicates a call for instant cleaning.
Daleyza knows a lot about carpets! She has worked with carpets for over 7 years and can help with things like putting them in, keeping them clean, and replacing them. She really likes carpets and spends most of her time learning about new ways to work with them. When she’s not learning about carpets, she enjoys reading books. She’s really good at helping people choose the right carpet for their homes and making sure they’re happy with it. If you want to know more about carpets, Daleyza is the person to talk to!