A famous slogan says that a car is a home with wheels. So, it’s evident that its seats may get dirty with the spilled food, pet shedding, and messy toddlers, etc. But can you use baking soda to clean car seats?
It’s out of the box idea, right? Maybe because you might only have wondered about cleaning your car seats by wiping, and in case of a stain, getting it done by a professional.
But professional cleaning is not as rewarding as the cost it offers to pay. So, it is worth thinking about easy and effective alternatives that are readily available at home.
Is It Possible To Use Baking Soda On A Car Seat?
This is a good question to ask, especially because the fabric of seats are different from regular cloth fabric. But before answering, let’s first discuss about what kind of fabric car seats have.
The most popular materials used to make car seats are nylon and polyester. Other than this, there is a wide range of available seats made of vinyl, leather, fake fur, and alcantara.
If your car seat is made of vinyl or leather, then you can avoid using baking soda for purging, as it can ruin the seat’s material and cause discoloration.
Besides this, you are good to go on other car seat materials!
Can You Use Baking Soda To Clean Car Seats?
From the above discussion, it must be clear that, yes, you can use baking soda on car seats with caution about the material it’s made of.
But before using this cleaning agent directly, remember to test the baking soda or its solution in a hidden corner and then go for full sprinkling and deep cleaning options. By testing first, you will ensure that the car seat’s fabric will not fade or rip with any cleaning stroke.
You can also use baking soda to get rid of the mildew smell from the car seat as well as the carpet.
How Do You Clean Car Seats With Baking Soda?
The most prominent features of car seats over other fabrics are their flexural rigidity, tensile strength, wrinkle resistance, bending length, etc.
Your car seat may not have many visible long fibers, but that doesn’t mean it won’t get stained. In fact, sometimes the seat’s stains are so stubborn that they do not get out even after continuous scratching.
So, to clean such seats to get a spotless finish, first do some initial setups, and for that,
Start With Pre-Cleaning Preparation
Whether your car has vinyl, leather, polyester, or cloth seats, your first step is to be prepared with your car. If you are assuming what this preparation implies, then for a surprise, these are the exact steps that you perform before carpet cleaning, cousin, or mattress cleaning. For this step,
- Vacuum the seat thoroughly with upholstery and wipe the new spill containing moisture. You can also use stick vacuums to clean all the spills effectively.
- After this, use a crevice tool to suck up grime from the corners or other gaps.
- Also, clean the other parts of the car seats so that the filth does not blow on the seat while baking soda is applied to it.
After accomplishing this, clean your car seats thoroughly. To properly guide you in this cleaning, here are the best cleaning methods that work well on almost every popular car seat.
Different Methods To Use Baking Soda On Car Seats
Suppose you are going out for a vacation with your family and pet and accidentally spilled food and drinks on your car seats. Do you think that these tumbles can easily be taken off only by wiping?
Well, of course not; in fact, you will need some serious cleaning agent to get through this task. And baking soda is perfect to be that cleaning agent. However, some people also think about using carpet cleaners to clean the car seats. But is it safe?
You can use this disinfectant in 3 different methods. To understand them better, let’s dive into the methods one by one!
Baking Soda Paste For Spot Treatment
If your car only has a few stubborn stains, then, of course, there is no logic behind cleaning the whole seat rigorously. In such cases, spot treatment can do wonders. To use it on your seat,
- Mix 2 parts of baking soda in 1 part of water.
- Use this paste on a hidden part of your car seat, and after 2 to 3 minutes, wipe it using a damp towel.
- If your seat is not tarnished, then you are good to go with the solution.
- Now, apply the paste on the spots in a way that it completely covers all the stains.
- Let the cleaning agent sit for 2 to 5 minutes and up to 30 minutes for extra stubborn ones.
- By this time, the chemical-free and low-abrasion agent will pull out all the filth and grime from its place.
- If your seat is not leather or vinyl, then use a brush or scrubber to rub the stain in a circular motion.
- Rinse away the paste with a damp towel and then wipe it with a clean and dry one.
Sprinkle Baking Soda To Get Rid Of Foul Odor
Odor correction for a lingering smell is one of the most challenging parts of cleaning. Whether you use any homemade agent or buy it from a market, foul odors are the most common issue that are not eradicated even after cleaning.
But guess what? Baking soda can do this for you, and to use this agent for this purpose,
- Liberate the baking soda all over the car seat and the molded carpet.
- Wait for 15 minutes so that it absorbs lousy odor and grime.
- Vacuum the seats and molded carpet thoroughly with a vacuum cleaner.
Use Baking Soda For Deep Cleaning
Instead of purchasing expensive carpet cleaning solutions from the market, you can build the same at home. Sounds interesting, right?
To prepare this solution, you will need only a few ingredients, such as baking soda, warm water, a toothbrush or scrubber, damp and dry towels, and an empty spray bottle. After collecting all these ingredients,
- Mix 1/4 cup of baking soda in 1 cup of warm water and dissolve it thoroughly so no visible lumps are floating.
- Pour the solution into an empty spray bottle and sprinkle it liberally onto stains on car seats.
- Do not over-saturate the region. Otherwise, it will get into the lower parts of the car.
- Wait for 30 minutes and scrub the solution with a scrubber or toothbrush if it is not on a leather or vinyl seat.
- Wipe with a damp towel, and then use a dry towel to clean the seats.
Cautions: Keep doors and windows of your car open to pass air from all sides while cleaning
Is Baking Soda Safe For Cleaning Infantry Car Seats?
As discussed above, baking soda is chemical-free and is a less abrasive cleaning agent. Hence, it is safe for children’s health if you clean infantry car seats with this cleaning agent.
You can use any of the above-suggested methods for cleaning and get a complete, spotless, bright seat in a few minutes.
If you are not sure whether you can use baking soda to clean car seats or not. Then, first, check what material your seat is made of and then understand all the cleaning methods thoroughly to choose which one suits your carpet cleaning best.
Using baking soda to clean the car seats raises another important question if you have pets i.e., is baking soda safe to use for dogs?
For how long can we leave baking soda on car seats?
If you are using powdered baking soda to sprinkle on your car seats, then you can leave it overnight. But if you indulge it in a baking soda paste or liquid, you can leave it for 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the car’s material.
Can I use vinegar to deodorize my car seats?
Yes, you can make a solution containing ¼ cup vinegar in 2 parts of baking soda and 1 part of warm water to deodorize your car seats.
Can I use detergent to clean car seats?
Yes, you can use detergent for car seat cleaning. For this, mix 2 scoops of detergent in hot water and pour it on the seat. After 10 minutes, scrub the seat gently and wipe it with a damp towel to get immaculate results.
Daleyza knows a lot about carpets! She has worked with carpets for over 7 years and can help with things like putting them in, keeping them clean, and replacing them. She really likes carpets and spends most of her time learning about new ways to work with them. When she’s not learning about carpets, she enjoys reading books. She’s really good at helping people choose the right carpet for their homes and making sure they’re happy with it. If you want to know more about carpets, Daleyza is the person to talk to!