Earlier, people generally used cleaning methods such as beating the carpet, pouring some hot water, and then rubbing it with a broomstick to unsoil their carpet. And if the carpet needed intense cleaning, then they generally opted for the hot water cleaning method. But with the evolution of carpet cleaners and solutions, we have also switched from this authentic cleaning strategy to some modern techniques. So, “Can You Use A Carpet Cleaner Without Solution?”
It’s difficult to say because the old popular methods were time-consuming and took lots of effort to clean. And even after that, the method didn’t guarantee to give the best spotless result if your carpet was highly filthy.
So, what can be done else? Is there any other method that can help you to achieve a clean, spotless carpet without using carpet solution, or is it possible to use the same old method but with little additional changes? Let’s find out all the possibilities related to this one by one to get the best result for your rug.
Why Is It Important To Clean Carpet With A Solution?
Carpets may have many filths and gross spills that can’t be removed just by vacuum cleaners. So, it is imperative to deep clean the carpet once or twice a year to eradicate these deeply embedded filths completely. But this deep cleaning becomes difficult if there is no cleaning solution added to treat stains because the solution acts as a significant lubricant in complete cleaning of carpet.
So, is it possible to not use a cleaning solution? And this question becomes more complicated when it comes to a carpet cleaner, which is designed to clean the carpet using a solution.
Well, let’s find out if you can use a carpet cleaner without a solution or not to understand better the chances and methods to achieve this.
Can You Use A Carpet Cleaner Without Solution?
Though cleaning a carpet with a carpet solution gives some admirable results, but with the passage of time and after so many washes, the carpet becomes dull, and its soft fabric grows into a stiff one.
Due to this, it becomes important to find some alternative methods, and you will be glad to hear that there are several homemade and ancient cleaning techniques that give the same result and are more affordable than a cleaning solution.
These methods will help you in deep cleaning and will maintain the soft texture of your carpet if used with the proper technique. Let’s talk about these methods one by one, and after reading all of these solution replacement alternatives, you have to choose an option that you can apply on your carpet.
How To Clean a Carpet Without Using Solution?
For this, you can opt for certain DIY methods that your grandmother would have used, or you can go for some modern built techniques. But before going for any of the cleaning methods, first, clean your carpet thoroughly with a vacuum cleaner to remove dry regular filths from it.
Method 1: Steam Clean Your Carpet
Do you remember the ancient technique that our ancestors used for cleaning? We already have discussed that pouring hot water on the carpet was an old deep clean method. However, we can still use this method with the help of a steam carpet cleaner and to make it more easy you can clean the carpet with Tineco carpet cleaner. For this,
1. Open the lid of the clean water tank and pour some hot water into it.
2. Plug the cleaner to start and drag it all over the carpet at a normal pace.
3. Make sure to cover a small area at a time for a better cleaning experience.
If you find that your carpet has some stubborn stain that can’t be removed just by steam cleaning, then,
1. Add 2 teaspoon bleach in 2 cups of cold water.
2. Pour the mixture on the stain and gently scrub it to detach the fatty dirt from it.
3. Leave the mixture over the carpet for 5 minutes and then steam clean the carpet to remove bleach.
Method 2: Add White Vinegar In Carpet Cleaner
Vinegar has an acidic property, which helps in eliminating stains and deodorizes the carpet. But if you are planning to use this method, then you should also know about the side effects it may bring.
Because if you use white vinegar directly on the carpet, then its acidic property will cause discoloration. And even though you mix it with water to dilute it a bit, you have to be extra careful about its result. To make this method work right,
1. Add 1 cup of white vinegar in 2 cups of warm water and spray it evenly on the stain area.
2. Spray the solution evenly over the carpet.
3. Let the mixture sit on the carpet for 30 minutes.
4. After this, add regular tap water to your carpet cleaner and drag the cleaner over the carpet back and forth.
5. Continue the process until you cover the whole carpet with your carpet cleaner so that you can blast out white vinegar and other filths from it.
6. Dry your carpet under the sun for 6 to 10 hours, and then place it back on your room’s floor.
Be extra careful if you are using this solution on a carpet made of natural fiber, such as wool, silk, etc., because their fibers are extra delicate, and there are higher chances of discoloration as compared to synthetic ones.
Method 3: Use Baking Soda
Baking Soda or Sodium Bicarbonate is a fine crystalline powder that is a natural deodorizer and cleanser. It also softens the water and is similar to washing soda, which means you can replace it with a carpet cleaning solution completely.
Also, it is not harmful to your carpet and does not dull the fabric that easily. So, you can surely apply this method in your carpet cleaning habit, but to get it correctly,
1. Test the baking soda on a hidden region of your carpet by spraying a small amount of water and then applying this crystalline powder over it.
2. If your application does not harm the fibers of your carpet, then you are good to go with this method.
3. Spray tap water all over the carpet and then sprinkle the light amount of baking soda evenly over it.
4. Rub the stained region gently to detach the fatty dirt and eliminate the foul odor from your carpet.
5. Leave the sprinkled baking soda for a few hours or overnight if your carpet’s odor is strong and can’t be removed easily.
6. Vacuum the whole carpet and then use a carpet cleaner, having normal tap water on the carpet.
7. By this, you can remove the embedded baking soda and dirt that is still there on the carpet.
Method 4: Use Ammonia To Clean The Carpet
If your carpet has some tough stains and you can’t decide how to clean it with a carpet cleaner without using any solution, then ammonia can be a bane for your carpet. It is capable of cleaning all kinds of stains, but before using it, you have to apply it to any non-visible part of your carpet. Because of highly alkaline nature of ammonia, which makes it corrosive, and this corrosive property can lessen the original color of the carpet. To use this method,
1. Add 1 cup of ammonia in 1/2 gallon of warm water.
2. Use the solution on a hidden region to see if it is harming your carpet fibers or not.
3. Mix well so that there are no lumps in the solution.
4. Pour the mixture on the carpet cleaner and drag the cleaner to clean the whole carpet.
5. Blot the stain with a cloth damped in solution.
6 If the stain is stubborn enough to be removed easily, then place a white towel on the stain and use an iron to press.
7. By this, the stain will be transferred to the white towel, leaving the region spotless.
8. Refill the carpet cleaner with tap water and use it on the carpet to remove the ammonia solution.
Method 5: Use a Solution Of Salt, Vinegar And Borax
If you are struggling with highly soiled carpet, then you can use this method for cleaning. But before this, it is suggested to wear gloves while you are making solution for this method or while cleaning any gross stains, such as your pet’s pee or poo. By this, you can save your hand from any bacteria or germs and do the entire cleaning work neatly. To prepare the solution,
1. Add 1/4 cup of vinegar in 1/4 cup of salt and borax.
2. Mix well to prepare a solution.
3. Apply the mixture to stain and gently rub it for a few minutes.
4. Let the mixture sit on the stain for a few hours until it dries completely.
5. Vacuum the carpet to remove the dried remains of the mixture.
6. Pour some warm water into the carpet cleaner and use it to blast out other filths from the carpet.
A carpet cleaner is designed to eliminate old filths and stains from the carpet, and a carpet cleaning solution plays a significant role in its result. So, “Can You Use A Carpet Cleaner Without Solution?”
You can understand its possibility through this article in detail and also get to know about methods that you can use to replace the solution. Read the article carefully and choose a method that you can use in your carpet cleaning.
Is it possible to clean the carpet without using chemicals?
You can steam clean your carpet by directly pouring hot water or by using carpet cleaner for cleaning. By this, you can avoid using chemicals completely and deep clean your carpet to remove dirt. In this context, the most common question people often ask is, can you steam clean a carpet using iron?
Which is the best home remedy to replace the solution from a carpet cleaner?
You can use white vinegar or baking soda by diluting it into warm water. Rub the solution gently on carpet stains and then wipe it using a clean towel damped in regular tap water.
Can I use detergent in my carpet cleaner to clean the carpet?
Yes, you can use laundry detergent in carpet cleaners. Add a scoop of detergent in 1/2 bucket of water and pour it on the carpet directly, or use a carpet cleaner for the same. If there are a few visible stains on your carpet, then rub the region using a scrubber to get the best result.
Daleyza knows a lot about carpets! She has worked with carpets for over 7 years and can help with things like putting them in, keeping them clean, and replacing them. She really likes carpets and spends most of her time learning about new ways to work with them. When she’s not learning about carpets, she enjoys reading books. She’s really good at helping people choose the right carpet for their homes and making sure they’re happy with it. If you want to know more about carpets, Daleyza is the person to talk to!