As of last year, there were over 1 million janitorial services businesses in the US alone, and this number is rapidly increasing.
With so many companies competing for clients, it can be challenging to grow your cleaning business.
After all, the cleaning industry is rapidly becoming more competitive and heavily saturated. To succeed, you need to be strategic and focus on the best practices that will help your business grow.
In this article, we will go through some of the most important growth statistics for cleaning businesses, as well as some trends that will shape the industry in the future.
General Statistics Regarding the Cleaning Industry
One of the most important statistics in regard to the cleaning industry is that it is one of the fastest-growing business sectors in the US.
In fact, according to recent data from Allied Market Research, the CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of the cleaning industry is expected to be around 6.5% from 2021-2030.
This indicates that if you can effectively grow your cleaning business, there is a good chance that you will experience significant success in the long run.
So here are some other quick stats regarding the cleaning industry:
- The North American cleaning industry market is the largest in the world, with Asia being a close second.
- According to IBIS World, over 2 million people are employed in the cleaning industry in the United States.
- The US janitorial services market alone is worth over $97 billion.
- As per Jobber, the revenue of the cleaning industry grew by 14% in 2021, and this number is expected to continue growing in the coming years.
- Every year since 2011, the cleaning industry has seen a 6.6% growth or higher.
If you want to expand your carpet cleaning business, it is important to keep these statistics in mind and use them as a guide for your own success.
With the right strategies, you can experience tremendous growth in the carpet cleaning business and build a profitable business that you can be proud of.
Cleaning Business Types & Their Statistics
One of the main things you must understand when it comes to growing your cleaning business is that there are different types of cleaning services that you can offer.
Some of the most common types include carpet cleaning, office cleaning, floor cleaning, window washing, and more.
The main types of cleaning services are residential and commercial. Let’s take a look at each of these types individually.
1. Residential Cleaning
Residential cleaning, as the name suggests, is the cleaning of private households.
This can include both homes and condos and can be a great source of income for businesses that are looking to expand their offerings.
According to recent data from Statista, there were over 129 million households in the United States in 2021.
This means that there’s a significant potential market for residential carpet cleaning services, and you should consider offering this type of service if you want to grow your business.
Whether you are starting your own business from scratch or looking to expand, residential cleaning can be a great option.
Here are some other statistics related to residential cleaning:
- Residential cleaning industry trends indicate a 20% YOY (year-over-year) growth, with a majority of the households being expected to hire professional cleaners by 2024.
- As per Franchise Help, the residential cleaning market is projected to reach $40.3 billion by 2025.
- According to Freshbooks, the average hourly rate for residential house cleaning is around $25-$90 per cleaner.
- 15% of the overall cleaning industry revenue in the United States comes from residential cleaning services.
- The average profit margin for residential cleaning businesses is around 27%.
If you are looking to grow your residential cleaning business, it is important to focus on high-quality customer service and marketing strategies that will help you stand out from the competition.
With the right approaches and available tools, you can experience tremendous success in this sector of the industry.
2. Commercial Cleaning
Commercial cleaning is another popular type of cleaning service, and it focuses on the cleaning of office buildings, commercial properties, schools, medical facilities, and other structures.
The commercial cleaning market is growing rapidly, with US revenue expected to reach $58 billion by 2025.
The commercial cleaning market is larger than the residential market and provides great opportunities for businesses that want to grow.
Like residential cleaning, commercial cleaning typically involves several different services, including carpet cleaning, office cleaning, window washing, and more.
Here are some additional statistics that can help you understand the commercial cleaning market:
- According to Thimble, there were over 2.3 million jobs in the commercial cleaning industry in 2016.
- The average profit margin for commercial cleaning businesses is the same as for residential cleaning businesses, at around 27%.
- The average hourly rate for commercial cleaners is between $50 and $100 per cleaner.
- 55% of the overall cleaning industry revenue in the United States comes from commercial cleaning services.
- The most popular services offered by commercial cleaners are floor care, windows/glass cleaning, and general janitorial services.
Growing a commercial business can be challenging, but it is also incredibly rewarding.
If you are looking to expand your commercial cleaning business, focus on providing high-quality services and marketing your business effectively to potential customers.
With the right approach, you can experience tremendous success in this exciting and growing industry.
Cleaning Industry Demographics
Cleaning is a vital industry that touches all aspects of our lives, from homes to businesses to public spaces.
There is a wide array of demographics that make up the cleaning industry, from young entrepreneurs to experienced professionals.
Some key statistics related to the demographics of the cleaning industry include:
- California and Texas are among the states with the highest number of carpet cleaning business insurance policyholders.
- The average age of a carpet cleaner is around 45-54 years old.
- As per Zippia, roughly 91% of all carpet cleaners are men, while women account for 8.7% of the industry.
- A majority of carpet cleaners are self-employed, and the rest work for small businesses or large corporations.
- Most cleaning professionals have at least a high school diploma, and many have additional training or education in the field.
- According to Bloomberg, about 70% of house cleaners are immigrants, with the majority coming from Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, the Philippines, and India.
- 61.7% of cleaners are White, 19.9% are Hispanic or Latino, 10.3% are Black, and 4.8% are Asian or Other.
What the Future Holds for the Cleaning Industry?
The cleaning industry is constantly evolving and adapting to meet new needs and demands.
As the world continues to become more tech-driven, cleaning professionals will be called on to not only provide traditional services such as carpet cleaning and scrubbing but also adopt new technologies and methods.
Some estimates regarding the future of the industry include:
- The cleaning industry is expected to grow by around 10% by 2026.
- The professional cleaning services market is projected to hit $74 million in 2022.
- As the demand for green cleaning increases, more companies are expected to adopt eco-friendly methods.
- New technology, such as robot vacuums, is expected to significantly impact the cleaning industry in the coming years.
- The commercial cleaning industry is projected to see a 5.4% YOY (year-over-year) growth through 2025.
- Employment of building cleaners and janitors is expected to increase by 4% annually through 2029.
- Vacuuming services are projected to see a 6.2% CAGR through 2022.
Overall, the cleaning industry is poised for continued growth for years to come as more and more people look for reliable and trustworthy cleaning professionals to help them keep their homes and businesses clean, healthy, and safe.
Whether you are new to the cleaning industry or have years of experience, there are plenty of opportunities for success in this exciting and dynamic field.
Cleaning Industry Trends That Are Shaping the Future
In recent years, many trends have emerged in the cleaning industry that are reshaping how businesses operate and grow. Some of these key trends include:
1. COVID-Specific Cleaning Services
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, many cleaning services are now offering specialized services that focus on disinfecting and sanitizing spaces to help prevent the spread of the virus.
These services often include deep cleaning, disinfecting surfaces and frequently touched items, and using specialized products to eliminate harmful germs and bacteria.
From carpets to windows to appliances, many cleaning professionals are adapting their services to meet the changing needs of clients.
2. Increased Demand for Green Solutions
As awareness around environmental issues continues to rise, many people are seeking out eco-friendly cleaning solutions.
In response, many cleaners and janitorial services are adopting green practices to help reduce their environmental impact.
This helps in eliminating toxic chemicals, and protect the health of their clients as well as planet.
This includes using natural products, such as plant-based soaps and also cleaners, to maintain healthy home without harming the environment.
3. Adoption of New Technologies
Another key trend in the cleaning industry is the rapid adoption of new technologies and methods to help businesses enhance their services, streamline operations, and improve efficiency.
These include advanced tools and equipment for deep cleaning. For example, carpet cleaning professionals use robotic vacuums and high-end equipment to provide thorough and efficient cleaning services.
Other emerging technologies include AI assistants, cloud-based platforms, and also augmented reality applications that can help cleaners keep track of appointments, inventory, billing information, and more.
If you’re considering a career in the cleaning industry, there are plenty of opportunities for success.
With continued growth predicted for years to come, so now is a great time to join this dynamic field and start building your own business or working with clients as part of a larger team.
So whether you’re interested in starting a cleaning business from scratch or looking to grow your existing business, you can be confident that the cleaning industry will continue to thrive in the years to come.
Daleyza knows a lot about carpets! She has worked with carpets for over 7 years and can help with things like putting them in, keeping them clean, and replacing them. She really likes carpets and spends most of her time learning about new ways to work with them. When she’s not learning about carpets, she enjoys reading books. She’s really good at helping people choose the right carpet for their homes and making sure they’re happy with it. If you want to know more about carpets, Daleyza is the person to talk to!